top of page

Advice: Change of Name in UK

Author: Dr E. Eyaru

(Original post from NDUK facebook group).

So I remember many years ago standing in front of Ikeja secretariat. There were multiple people holding A4 sheets and beckoning to me: Oga Affidavit?! I came to understand that when one changes names, they have to swear an affidavit such that new and old documents remain valid. People can change names for all sorts of reasons. Marriage, Divorce, Brain wave, etc

In the abroad the order of thing organization

  1. Make an ‘unenrolled’ deed poll yourself

  2. Apply for an ‘enrolled’ deed poll

Ask the organisation you’re dealing with (for example your bank) which type of deed poll they’ll accept as proof of your new name. Some websites online charge anywhere from £9 to £35 for this service but you can do it yourself. Just type and print and sign this and you are good to go .

Here is a template to help:

“I [old name] of [your address] have given up my name [old name] and have adopted for all purposes the name [new name].
“Signed as a deed on [date] as [old name] and [new name] in the presence of [witness 1 name] of [witness 1 address], and [witness 2 name] of [witness 2 address].
“[your new signature], [your old signature]
“[witness 1 signature], [witness 2 signature]”

You can print this on parchment paper for your own documentation

You can put your new name on public record by ‘enrolling’ it at the Royal Courts of Justice if you’re 18 or over. It costs £42.5 and cheques should be made payable to HMCTS.

While this is acceptable in the U.K., to change your name on your Naija passport eg ( when one gets married) a deed pool won’t be accepted. You need a marriage certificate and letter of consent from husband. So next time you decide to change your name to Donald Trump Boris, you know what to do.


1 view0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


Avaliado com 0 de 5 estrelas.
Ainda sem avaliações

Adicione uma avaliação
bottom of page